|Duty free shops offer deals on items that usually carry heavy duties and taxes. For example, visitors may save up to 50% on liquor and tobacco. Other popular items include perfume, watches, jewelry, accessories, candy, travel-related items and gifts.
Many duty free shops also have food courts, travel centers, GST Rebate services, business services, including faxes, telephones, photocopiers and telecommunication ports for laptop computers.Duties & Taxes Charged for Exceeding Personal Allowances:
If you exceed your duty free allowances and exemptions entering the U.S. the following approximate US duty and tax rates may apply.
Best Buys at Duty Free Shops in Canada:
- US $2 - $3 per bottle of liquor
- US $1.30 per case of beer
- US $3.90 per carton of cigarettes
- US duty rates on purchases exceeding 1 liter of alcohol are assessed according to alcohol content.
Liquor, including spirits, wine and beer, in Canada is significantly more expensive than in the United States, so Americans going to Canada for a visit may want to stop at duty free for liquor that they will consume while in Canada.
For example, 40 oz of spirit is as low as US$17. The same bottle would be more than double that price if bought in Canada.Personal Allowances for Americans Returning to the US after Less than 48 Hrs:
After a stay of less than 48 hours in Canada, a U.S. citizen or resident may return to the U.S. with:
Personal Allowances for Americans Returning to the US after More than 48 Hrs:
- US$200 worth of goods per person, tax and duty free
- 150 ml (5 oz) alcohol and 10 cigars (non Cuban)
- Any purchases in excess of the US$200 allowance may be subject to duties and taxes.
- US citizens may buy these amounts daily.
After a stay of 48 hours or more in Canada, a U.S. citizen or resident may return to the U.S. with:
- US$800 worth of goods per person, tax and duty free
- Purchases may include 1 liter of alcohol, 200 cigarettes (1 carton), and 100 cigars.
- Family members may combine their tax and duty allowances.
- Any purchases in excess of the US$800 allowance may be subject to duties and taxes.
- US citizens may buy these amounts once a month.
Cheap Hotel Bookings India
India Cheap Hotel Rooms
Ottawa Air Ticket Cheap
Cheap Travel Insurance
Car Hire India