American culture encompasses traditions, ideals, customs, beliefs, values, arts, folklore and innovations developed both domestically and imported via colonization and immigration from the British Isles. Prevalent ideas and ideals which evolved domestically such as important national holidays, uniquely American sports, proud military tradition, and innovations in the arts and entertainment give a strong sense of national pride among the population as a whole.Customs And Rituals:
- In general, Americans give gifts for birthdays, anniversaries and major holidays, such as Christmas.
- A gift can be as simple as a card and personal note to something more elaborate for a person with whom you are close.
- Gift giving is not an elaborate event, except at Christmas.
- When invited to someone's home for dinner, it is polite to bring a small box of good chocolates, a bottle of wine, a potted plant or flowers for the hostess.
- Gifts are normally opened when received.
- Americans socialise in their homes and ‘backyards’, in restaurants and in other public places.
- It's not at all unusual for social events to be as casual as a backyard barbecue or a picnic in the park.
- Arrive on time if invited for dinner; no more than 10 minutes later than invited to a small gathering. If it is a large party, it is acceptable to arrive up to 30 minutes later than invited.
- Table manners are more relaxed in the U.S. than in many other countries.
- The fork is held in the right hand and is used for eating. The fork is held tines down. The knife is used to cut or spread something. To use the knife, the fork is switched to the left hand. To continue eating, the fork is switched back to the right hand.
- If you have not finished eating, cross your knife and fork on your plate with the fork over the knife. Indicate you have finished eating by laying your knife and fork parallel across the right side of your plate.
- If you are more comfortable eating in the Continental manner, go ahead. It will not offend anyone.
- Feel free to refuse specific foods or drinks without offering an explanation.
- Many foods are eaten by hand.
- Food is often served family-style, which means that it is in large serving dishes and passed around the table for everyone to serve themselves.
- Do not begin eating until the hostess starts or says to begin.
- Remain standing until invited to sit down.
- Do not rest your elbows on the table.
- Put your napkin in your lap as soon as you sit down.
- Leave a small amount of food on your plate when you have finished eating.
* Christianity: (82.3%)
* Unaffiliated, including atheist or agnostic (11.6%)
* Judaism (1.2% to 2.2%)
* Islam (0.6% to 1.6%)
* Buddhism (0.5% to 0.9%)
* Hinduism (0.4%)
* Other (1.4%)Dance
There is great variety in dance in the United States of America. It is the home of the hip hop dance and its derivative Rock and Roll, and modern square dance (associated with the United States of America due to its historic development in that country—nineteen U.S. states have designated it as their official state dance) and one of the major centers for modern dance. There is a variety of social dance and concert or performance dance forms with also a range of traditions of Native American dances.Lifestyle
In USA You will hardly find any neighbors to talk to. Mostly, people leave their homes in the morning and come back in the evening except weekends.Weekends:
In USA, there are two days in a week which are off, Saturday and Sunday. On weekdays, people are busy at work and weekends are meant to enjoy, take care of household stuff, socializing etc.Servants or maids
Here all the work has to be done to by yourself whether it is washing utensils to getting the groceries to lifting your own stuff whether it is heavy or light etc. Here people take pride in doing their work no matter even if its a menial or a skillful job. You will find people fixing their own cars, doing gardening, lawn mowing etc. Convenience
USA has some very good systems to offer. Here you dont have stand in a line to pay any bills. Everything can be done on phone or via internet or by post whether it is paying electricity, phone, insurance payments etc. If you want to invest in shares and do trading, even that is possible via internet.Public local transport buses :
There is no ticket conductor. Also in some places you won't get any formal tickets for travelling, unless you want a day pass. You need to make a stop request to the driver, by pulling the bell string.When police /cop stops you :
Follow speed signs carefully. If you are caught speeding, you will fined. If a cop (police officer) asks you to stop while you are driving, just stop the car at the right side of the road, and wait inside. Never get out of the car. Cop may consider it as an offense, and might shoot you for self defense.Restaurants
In most of the restaurants you will find buffet. At buffets, it is a custom to use a fresh plate for each next serving. Leave the earlier one at the table itself, server will clear it up. When you want a drink without ice, say "No Ice", and not "Without Ice". At fast food joints, you would be asked if the food is for "Here" or "To Go"? "Here" means to have there itself, and "To Go" means packed.